Friends of Colwickwoods

Friends of Colwickwoods

About Us

Friends of Colwick Woods volunteer group was formed by local residents in April 2004. We work closely with Nottingham City Council. The aim of the group is to protect, enhance and promote Colwick Woods as an important local resource for the benefit of the community and its natural habitat.
http://www.friendsofcolwickwoods.co.uk

Minutes of the meeting February 4th 2012

Meeting MinutesPosted by vanessa Tue, March 06, 2012 17:03:11
Minutes of the meeting of the Friends of Colwick Woods

7.20 pm February 4th 2012, BANCA, Sneinton Dale (following AGM)


Attendance. Edmund Hopkins, Richard Brown, Angela Hornsby, Glynda Preston, Sam Musgrave, Pat Holland, M Lumb, Roger Sharpe, Vanessa Osborne, Jackie Wood, John Davies, Rae Jenkinson, Mary Davies, Roger Sharpe, Liz Edge, Ellen McLoughlin, Martin Harris
Apologies. Pauline Taylor, Agnes Preira, Irene Dowson, Jean Vickery, Mr B Panton.
Minutes. Agreed.
Membership Report. 191. This is a record. 10 new members including 4 from the StargazingLive! event.
Treasurers Report. Circulated. Minor amendments required: NCVS should read BTCV, MCVS should read NCVS.
Local History Report. Jackie has interviewed Rodney Shelton regarding his recollections of the Colwick Hall Roundhouse. Angela related third hand the memories of a Ukranian man, now dead. He was recruited into the army at age 14 and ended up as a POW on the woods. Married a local girl and lived on Greenwood Road until he was 30, then returned home. He came back on a visit with a choir in his 50’s. Liz related an odd story about the railway land directly opposite Colwick Crossings Cottage. This was sold to a dog belonging to the neighbour, a Mr Tony Appleby, for one penny.
Natural History Report. Vanessa reported a strange pawprint in the recent snow, with 4 distinct claws. We speculated might be a badger. Jackie noted numerous rabbit prints, and Roger pointed out Snowdrops now in bloom. We continue to hear Woodpeckers, while Rae reported a strange animal.
Matters Arising.
8.1 Playground consultation. Held at Academy. Disappointing in some respects. Councillors are keen to see a working group set up to take project forward, Glynda volunteered to attend on our behalf. Angela will contact one of our members who is a mum with young children who may also wish to help.
8.2 Littering. Wide ranging discussion (again). Particularly bad wherever students from the Academy walk or congregate.
8.4 Website. Vanessa to attend next meeting
9. Any other business
9.1 West View Works. Martin confirmed that the contract has been let to All Seasons Landscapes. Start date imminent.
9.2 Fence gap on Cliff still open, Jackie reported.
9.3 Spring Walk (6th May) Jackie proposed we should open for tea and information on this day, toilets also. Agreed. Pat mentioned she has met (via David Jones in Sneinton) a Chinese lady who is interested in doing food for events.





AGENDA for the meeting to be held 5th March 2012
Attendance
Apologies
Website presentation
Minutes
Treasurers Report
Membership report
Local History Report
Natural History Report
Matters arising
Any other business
Date of the next meeting






  • Comments(0)//blog.friendsofcolwickwoods.co.uk/#post7

Minutes of the meeting January 9th 2012

Meeting MinutesPosted by vanessa Tue, March 06, 2012 17:02:37
Minutes of the meeting of the Friends of Colwick Woods

7.00 pm January 9th 2012, BANCA, Sneinton Dale


Attendance. Edmund Hopkins, Richard Brown, Angela Hornsby, Glynda Preston, Sam Musgrave, Pat Holland, M Lumb, I Dyson, Roger Sharpe, Pauline Taylor, Vanessa Osborne, Jackie Wood, John Davies, Rae Jenkinson, Mary Davies, Roger Sharpe, Jean Vickery.
Apologies. Pauline Taylor, Ellen Mcloughlin, Marje Lumb, Martin Harris, Agnes Preira.
Minutes. Item 6, Angela not Rae circulated photos lent by Len Littlehales. Jackie has (is not awaiting) recollections from a lady. Otherwise agreed.
Membership Report. 181. This is a record. Thanks to Pat for running membership so effectively. £30. 50 taken.
Treasurers Report. Circulated. Richard reported that we have a credit of £41 from the cost of Stan’s bench. Agreed to hold in general fund to await suitable charitable expenditure.
Local History Report. None received. Rae recalled brick arches exposed at ground level immediately below the reservoir, south side. Rae also has a cousin who remembers a domed roof to the Ice House, perhaps 60 years ago.
Natural History Report. Vanessa reported seeing a Green Woodpecker. Angela noted the absence of fox calls so far this year.
Matters Arising.
8.1 Playground consultation. To be held at Academy. Bid submission deadline mid February. Ideas put forward for Edmund to collate. ACTION EH
8.2 Stargazing Live! event. Planning in hand. Vanessa to notify Sneinton Police. ACTION VO. Float required.
8.3 Littering. Wide ranging discussion (again). Fly tipping including fridges, near Cot Death plantation. Edmund to chase. ACTION EH. Dog poo bin on former golf course emptied only intermittently.
8.4 Website. We have not yet told Vanessa (Wood) what we wish to see on the site. ACTION ALL. All agreed about the need to get material from the Local History folders onto the site. Facilities which we can take advantage of include picture gallery, updating articles, blogs, and email addresses.
8.5 Gala Day 2012 Date fixed, July 8th. Ideas to Angela. We felt that a food festival point was desirable. Vanessa has contacted Marsha from the Secret Kitchen Café (Sneinton).
8.6 West View improvement works. Moving slowly towards award of contract. Communication remains poor.
8.7 Wildlife in the City continue to carry out improvement work at the SSSI footpath. Intending to revamp the information panel.

9. Any other business
9.1 H14 (Bewick Drive woodland). John and Mary have contacted David Mellen and his letter in reply confirms that Parks Services intend to modify the LNR boundary and transfer the land to Parks in 2012.
9.2 Blocked footpath through Greenwood Dale School. Tom Hughes has contacted Pat asking about the Right of Way issue. Sam then mentioned remains of a concrete path running from Cot Death plantation down towards the school to be investigated. ACTION SM
9.3 Repair of Greenwood Road. Roger reported that Ken Williams and David Mellen have committed to seeing the road repaired following completion of academy construction works, estimated to be November.
9.4 Planning application by Nottingham Academy for the installation of floodlights to the Greenwood Dale MUGA. Decision still pending. A revised drawing showing shields on 2 of the lights has been submitted but not the 2 lights facing West View so no benefit.
9.5 Diameter tape for tree measurements. Roger proposed purchase, to facilitate 2012 tree surveying. Edmund to find price . ACTION EH.
9.6 Misuse of benches. Roger commented that the Keeper’s Clearing bench was always muddied because kids sit on the back of it and put their feet on the seat. Some discussion but no obvious action can be taken. Differing views.
9.7 Muslim Volunteers. Edmund offered update on this new (to us) voluntary group. A litterpick for Mile Run is scheduled.
9.8 Toolstore. Richard reported an attempted break in previous week. Steel door withstood the battering.
9.10 Richard reported a grant scheme now available from the City Council Climate Change team, focussed on carbon reduction etc.
9.11 Work Day. Confirmed for Sunday 5th February.

AGENDA for the meeting to be held 9th January 2012
Attendance
Apologies
Minutes
Treasurers Report
Membership report
Local History Report
Natural History Report
Playground consultation
Matters arising
Any other business
Date of the next meeting






  • Comments(0)//blog.friendsofcolwickwoods.co.uk/#post6

Minutes of the meeting December 5th 2011

Meeting MinutesPosted by vanessa Tue, March 06, 2012 17:02:09
Minutes of the meeting of the Friends of Colwick Woods

7.00 pm December 5th 2011, BANCA, Sneinton Dale


Attendance. Edmund Hopkins, Richard Brown, Angela Hornsby, Glynda Preston, Sam Musgrave, Pat Holland, M Lumb, I Dyson, Roger Sharpe, Pauline Taylor, Vanessa Osborne, Jackie Wood, Agnes Preira, John Davies, Ellen McLoughlin, Rae Jenkinson, Nigel McWhinney.
Apologies. Mary Davies, Roger Sharpe, Pauline Taylor, Jean Vickery.
Minutes. Agreed.
Membership Report. 179. £54 taken.
Treasurers Report. Circulated. Richard reported that we have a credit of £41 from the cost of Stan’s bench. Agreed to hold in general fund to await suitable charitable expenditure.
Local History Report. Rae circulated 3 photographs from the period 1945-7 which have been lent by Len Littlehales, showing the POW camp and immediate area. There are many more of local scenes, such as construction of the River Trent sluice gates at Colwick. Jackie reported she is awaiting written recollections of living in the POW camp from a lady. Angela to laminate several photos for pinning on our noticeboard. ACTION AAH
Natural History Report. Several recent sightings of Lesser spotted woodpeckers noted. Continuing discussion of the drop in Fox numbers, and the influence of Mange. Richard pointed out that fluctuations in natural populations are quite usual.
Matters Arising.
8.1 Bowling green and pavilion. Edmund distributed copies of the draft manifesto for the site. Committee agreed its adoption with several minor amendments. The present safety of the pavilion was discussed. Important that we have clarity in readiness for Stargazing event.
8.2 Stargazing Live! event. Planning in hand. Wildlife in City will contribute by hosting a night time walk.
8.3 Apple trees. Trees from Ecoworks not delivered. Edmund to chase. ACTION EH
8.4 Website. Resolved to place in hands of Vanessa ----- in January. Old site should shortly become unavailable.

9. Any other business
9.1 Groundwork update. Richard has continued to discuss scope for partnering enterprise, it is likely Groundwork will be able to contribute to one or other of our projects.
9.2 Playground improvement and consultation. Proposals from Martin Harris felt to still be short on detail/timing. Discussion ongoing. Beth Hanna from Neighbourhood Office now helping to drive things forward. Pat passed round photos and details of other playground facilities. Edmund to gather our comments in January for a collective response. ACTION ALL, January.
9.3 Nigel McWhinney from the Geocaching Association introduced himself and gave us some background to the geocaching pastime which essentially is treasure hunting concealed objects by means of smartphone applications. As we know, there are a number in Colwick woods and Nigel explained that over 200 views have been made since these were installed. Geocaching brings people onto the woods, which is entirely consistent with our objectives, and they actively promote environmental responsibility, for example by litter picking as they go.
9.4 Planning application by Nottingham Academy for the installation of floodlights to the Greenwood Dale MUGA. We have made written objection to this, as has the Civic Society. Currently no decision has been issued.
9.5 John and Mary have been in touch with Alex Begg, Allotment Officer, about the current status of H14 which it seems is not allocated (to a land use) in the draft LAPP DPD (Development Plan Document), the successor to the current Local Plan. Alex has indicated transfer of H14 to the LNR should be completed Summer 2012.
9.6 Large Siberechts poster. Pat pointed out that these are expensive in the Castle Museum shop and it would be a good investment to laminate ours. ACTION PH
9.7 Gala day. Provisional date 8th July.

AGENDA for the meeting to be held 9th January 2012
Attendance
Apologies
Minutes
Treasurers Report
Membership report
Local History Report
Natural History Report
Matters arising
Any other business
Date of the next meeting






  • Comments(0)//blog.friendsofcolwickwoods.co.uk/#post5